A fixture in the Victorian Village of Ferndale since 1948, Lentz Department Store is the only independently owned and operated department store in Humboldt County and one of a limited number remaining in the U.S. today.
In years gone by, the Lentz Department Store building housed three businesses: a saloon, a harness shop and a barber shop.
The "Streamline Modern" architecture of the Lentz Building stands out among the Victorians that surround it as a result of a remodel by original owner Ulice Lentz, who wanted the latest in design, both inside and out, when she opened for business in 1948.
Ulice operated the department store for more than 25 years before selling to Bernice Petersen, who continued the Lentz tradition for another 15 years. In 1988 it was sold to Polly Stemwedel, who continues to offer the old-fashioned customer service for which Lentz Department Store has been known for more nearly 60 years.
With a contemporary selection of women's apparel and accessories, Lentz has become a favorite shopping destination for moms and grandmas. Grandma can't resist adorable outfits for the grandkids.
Polly personally selects all Lentz merchandise as well as specialty gift items for any gift giving occasion. She also stocks hard to find items like baby bonnets, bibs, traditional children's clothing, handkerchiefs and pillowcases for embroiderers.
Lentz is also a great place for shopping-weary husbands. Polly's husband, Dale's vintage radios, cameras and sewing machines prove to be of great interest to gentlemen who find their way into Lentz Department Store. He's happy to talk about his collections.
Mail and phone orders are always welcome!
Lentz Department Store
Open Mondays through Saturdays 10-5, Sundays 11-4
© 2007 Lentz Department Store